Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pea & feta salad

Hi there,
So, what's new? Things are ticking along nicely here in this little old place. Each day drifting into another, and, before I know it, it's time to flip the calendar to yet another new month... the summer is slipping by and I feel as though it has only just begun.


A good indicator that I am in the thick of Summer is the fact that the farmers' market is brimming with fresh produce. Tomatoes so sweet, they may as well be candy... and don't even get me started on Jersey corn... for those not lucky enough to try it, I can only say that you have never tasted anything so lip-smackingly gorgeous... It's even worth getting it stuck in your teeth (anyone know how to eat corn off the cob elegantly, let me know). I used to think that the only thing to come out of New Jersey was 'The Jersey Shore' and 'The Sopranos,' but this is what Jersey should be remembered for... fresh produce... there's a reason it's called the 'Garden State,' you know... (and I thought that was just irony...)


Anyhoo, as I turned the Sainsbury's calender over into the month of July, I was greeted with this month's recipe of a broad bean salsa. Now,  I'm not sure if broad beans are known under a different name here in the States, but I never come across them in the supermarkets... so, never one to be defeated at the first hurdle, I decided to substitute beans with fresh peas... I was itching to use fresh peas in something and this gave me the perfect excuse. I also have an abundance of mint growing in the garden (no, I didn't plant it in the pot, and so, it's growing pretty rampant at the moment)... and feta just takes me back to summer holidays spent in Greece... happy days! So, with a tweak here and there, I created this pea & feta salad.


Anyhoo, this dish makes the perfect accompaniment to a burger off the barbie or just as a light lunch. So, if you're short on time, whip this little treat up. You can even try it with broad beans!
Take care all!
Lx

Recipe for Pea & Feta Salad



1 cup of fresh peas
1/2 red onion finely sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 handful of mint leaves finely sliced
grated zest & juice of 1/2 lemon
1 cup of cubed feta
pepper to taste


Method
Add the peas to a pan of boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Drain and refresh in cold water.
Put the peas in a bowl with onion, olive oil, mint, lemon zest and lemon juice. A grind of black pepper.
Stir in the feta.
Delish!




9 comments:

  1. Your pea and feta salad looks delicious! The mint and lemon would really add a fresh zing to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that does sound good.. I;m going to try this and like you I would have to have peas, I just don't like broad beans x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love fresh peas...so I'll give this a go! I'm a bit envious of your summer...nothing much happening here...raining one minute...muggy the next...windy, then sunny...never know what to put on in the morning!! Enjoy! Robx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! Think I might have to give this a go tonight with a barbecue (well, if the Cumbrian weather stays nice that is!) - Melissa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so cold and wet here, and that summer salad looks so yummy,I will have to remember it for warmer days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I;ll definitely be trying that scrummy salad. Looks great! I love feta cheese too. Can't believe how quickly the summer is zipping by - well, such summer as we're getting here in England! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! My mouth is watering.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How funny that you can't get broad beans in the States. I love those little differences. Looks like a lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! Im still too scared to try mushy peas - is that silly? Loving the lazy days of summer :) (And I didn't know how to spell 'barbie' until just now - thx!) XOL

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails