Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The best soup... ever...

Hello lovelies...
Well, it's coming to the end of summer and, I tell you, I'm looking forward to a bit of routine in my life... I look forward to the kiddies going to bed at a decent time so I can be reunited with my blog once more. As it is, I'm lucky to get a few snatched moments here and there, where I catch up on reading my favourite blogs. I have posts milling around my head, waiting to be tapped out... and then there are those that make it onto the old laptop but are endlessly awaiting pictures... But, hey, you know that this is not a five minute gig, so I'll quit my whinging and let you know what I'm up to...


As I tap this out, I'm getting ready for a Cabin trip. The hubby dictates that we need to go on this trip, as the Cabin is the only place we ever sit down, with nothing to do. Forced relaxation is imposed on me... mind you, I'm planning on taking the old sewing machine up with me, as I have a few projects that are about, oooh, six months overdue... at least I won't be doing endless laundry or cleaning...


Before I head off, though, I decided to do a spot of cooking... good old comfort food... soup, dips, quiche and scones.. The sort of food you can grab after a day spent at the pool, or the food you can tuck into while watching the rain pitter-patter in the woods... (this is a more likely scenario, as it has been raining buckets lately)...


Tomatoes are in abundance at this time of year (and these tomatoes taste of what tomatoes should, instead of the watery nothingness we get off-season)... so, this soup explodes with flavour in your mouth. It's the only soup my girls ask for and actually thank me for making (this is a biggie in this house, as meal times are most definitely a chore for my gals!). Served with a thick slice of bread, dripping with ooey-gooey cheese, meals don't get much better...


And so, this gal is taking herself off into the wilderness... apparently my in-laws spied two bears next to the Cabin only last week... the hubby told me this, all excited... I told him he'll be walking the dog solo!
Take care!
Lx

Tomato Soup Recipe


Ingredients
2 1/2 lbs of fresh tomatoes (try and pop in several varieties e.g. plum, vine, cherry)
6 cloves of garlic (peeled)
1 yellow onion (peeled & sliced)
1 red onion (peeled & sliced)
olive oil (approx. 1/4 cup... a few good glugs)
salt & fresh black pepper
2 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
3/4 quart (750ml) chicken stock
4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup fresh basil

Method
Preheat the oven to 450F
Wash, core  and cut the tomatoes in half.
Spread the tomatoes, onions & garlic cloves in a baking pan. Drizzle with the olive oil, until well covered. Sprinkle with the thyme, add the bay leaves and season with the salt pepper. I like to get my hands in and mix it all together, to ensure everything is covered in the olive oil.
Roast for 30 minutes or until the onions have started to caramelize (this is my favourite part, as the house is filled with the most delicious aroma... bliss...).
Remove the roasting pan and transfer the contents to a large pan. Add the chicken stock and butter. Bring to the boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Wash and dry the basil leaves and then add to the pot. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve in warm bowls, with a sprig of basil for garnish and a lovely piece of ooey-gooey cheese on toast for dipping...


When taste-tested, two out of two children surveyed stated that this was 'The best soup ever!'

Shared with Sarah at A Beach Cottage - Good Life Wednesday... go check out her linky party and leave inspired.

15 comments:

  1. LOVELY soup ~ I made a batch of tomato soup today with the glut of toms I have.....it is so much better home-made!
    Yours looks fabulous.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've given me a soup craving! I always love your photos. I vow that when we sell this house I will buy a good camera. A cabin trip sounds idyllic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I'm thinking you could write a cookbook! First of all, I can't wait to try this soup recipe. Second, your telling of it makes me feel like I've tasted it already. Thanks for the wonderful foodie experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe Laura..will definitely give that a go...have a nice relaxing holiday...and yes, I would let hubby walk the dog solo!! Robx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can almost smell the lovely aromas coming from you kitchen I am definitely going to try your tomato soup recipe. Have fun at the cabin.
    Jillxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a flavor explosion!Mmmmm Enjoy your cabin we just came from a lake front cabin visit and your hubs is correct we just relaxed there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That soup looks delicious...
    A Cabin? That sounds like a proper Enid Blyton break - have fun....

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMY! The perfect American meal with a grilled cheese on the side :) Have a great wilderness vacay!! XOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. That soup looks so tasty, real comfort food stuff :) Thanks for stopping by BC Good Life Wednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a huge soup person but I really really want a bowl of that right now! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy the wilderness!
    Thanks for the soup recipe. Will be making that.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will be trying this because I hate tinned tomato soup and I have a glut of tomatoes in the garden at the moment :)... Your holiday sounds like heaven to me but take care with those bears! look forward to seeing all those finished projects x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there Laura, I see a big storm is heading your way...so take care and stay away from the high water mark! Robx

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are deep into tomato soup season here, this one is now on my list for what promises to be a cold and dreary weekend, very soup worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It would be kind of you to acknowledge where you obtained the recipe from.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails