Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A cork love story...

When I first met the hubby he was fresh out of University (I don't think I've mentioned, that he's my toyboy)... He had hardly put aside his college 'drinking game' days, whereas I on the other hand, had forgotten about them, moved onto hard liquor, before finally settling on wine, as my preferred alcoholic beverage..


I remember the first bottle of wine we shared.. judging by the way he swigged down his first glass in two seconds flat, I could tell that the young guy sat next to me, was more suited to a bottle of Corona... but it didn't matter because I could tell that this was going to be the start of something magical... Forget  the fact that I was pushing 30, he American and me English, with a house and a career under my belt.. Something told me that this was going to be different... and he must have thought so too, as he took the cork, and scribbled the date and our names on it (or was this something he did with all girls)?


Anyhoo, along our travels we collected many more corks... the saddest being from our last night shared together in Australia... not knowing if that would be the last time I would see him... But evidently, we did see each other again, and many more bottles of wine have been drunk (some good and some bad). Those for momentous occasions have been inscribed with the date and a little message... birthdays... weddings... Thanksgiving, Christmases and so on... There's a whole story on these corks... I felt it was a story that deserved to be shown...


As you walk into my house, you will see this collectors frame full of corks... corks telling a beautiful love story... the story of the hubby and I...
We've filled this frame up... but I'm hoping we'll just keep on adding... speaking of which, I'll open a bottle of red tonight... I'll think of an occasion to toast later...
Lx

10 comments:

  1. How sweet. I have saved the corks from every bottle of wine I ever drank in the last few years (which is a frightening number!) because I thought it would be nice to remember those wonderful nights, but now they all mesh together and I have no idea what is what...and when it was had...with whom or where....What a wonderful idea! What a romantic story. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story. I love that you wrote a little note on each one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you had the foresight to do this... I'm jealous. I guess I could start tonight!! I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - this is lovely. I had this idea to save all my corks in my 20s but then found I had so many! I made a gigantic cork board that I stuck them all to...wonder where that is now? Must have got mislaid in one of the house moves? Anyway - yours look great and are suitable low in number; a representative group! Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Laura, this is such a lovely post, what a beautiful and romantic idea!
    I hope you're having a fabulous week
    Melissa xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh the romantic in me is grinning from ear to ear!!

    just divinely lovely my friend...

    especially loved the australian link....with you being from england and he america...a world saga love story...

    melissa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Laura, this is such a lovely story! I'm going to have to do this too ;) Thank you for the fantastic idea

    XO Laura, HappyHomemakerUK.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hearing a love story! So sweet... and I'll be right over to share a glass of red with you!
    xo,
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww thanks for all the lovely comments... Lou got it right though, these are only a representation of *some* the wine drunk over the years... my bank balance and body, wish it weren't though! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried wine. I always wonder if I'm missing out.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails