Friday, August 13, 2010

An antique box and a tatty old deck of cards..


The weekend is coming and it's going to be a frantic one for me... My brother and his family fly in from the UK and it's the first time they'll have been to this pad.. Anyways, because our home is the size of a shoe box, we're only going to stay here for a few days, and then we're off to the in-laws cabin in the Pocono Mountains...  I love my brother and all, but our place is just too tiny to spend 10 days here, with 4 adults, 1 teenager, 2 toddlers, a dog and a cat...

Going to the cabin has plus points for soooo many reasons... It's twice the size of this place... it's 10 degrees cooler... it has an authentic English pub nearby (a BIG plus) and, there are lots of antique places! The last time I visited these was with my mum and step-father. He's majorly into antiquing and passes on a lots of said antiques to me at each visit.. I'd hung my nose over these little dutch houses for an age and he finally sent them home with me (my eldest smashed one...Phew for superglue)...



He also gave me these antique bottles... I particularly love the little blue 'Boots the Chemist' bottle (being a Nottinghamshire lass and all)..


Anyhoo, while visiting one antique shop in the Poconos, I spied this beautiful card box... ummed and ahhhed over it and left the shop... My step-father met me at the car with the box as a surprise... Now this little gem, has a special place in my heart for two reasons... the first being that I will always think of my lovely step-father, and the second being that it holds a tatty old deck of cards... a deck of cards that travelled with me and the hubby, the length and breadth of Australia, and then here to New Jersey...



These cards have played a lot of 'Palace' in a lot of beautiful places.. They have gotten me out of a lot of washing-up duties (I was always the better player.. cough cough), and they have kept the hubby and I amused when there was nothing else to do...
And so, to anyone else this is a antique card box, but to me it holds a lot of very good memories. Can't wait to trawl the antique shops to see what I find this time...

Wishing you all a lovely weekend. Lx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails